Membership Has Its Privileges

Posted by ZenMom Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I've been thinking a lot about getting older these days. Usually when I'm looking in the mirror. That's when I see those new lines and all those new gray hairs cropping up.

It also crosses my mind when I go to put on my pants and realize I've outgrown them yet again. Or during those times I try to get up from a sitting position only to be stuck in some yoga-like pose, sans the yoga.  Not before I let out a few good old lady noises of course.

Come to think of it, this whole aging thing is pretty much on my mind 24/7.  Getting older is really a downer.

I went on a hike with an old (no pun intended) friend of mine a while back.  The whole time we talked about how different we are now than in our younger days.  How appearances don't seem to matter half as much as they used to. We talked about our growing disdain for small talk and anything superficial.  And how we just don't have time to make nice-nice with people who are just pains in the ass.

As we made our way up the mountain, the theme for the day became clear.

It just doesn't matter anymore.

I'm no longer bound by what others think of me.  My idea of fashion consists largely of what is comfortable. And, as many of you can attest to, I feel a certain freedom to speak my mind.

The biggest revelation? I feel more free to be my own person than I have in years.  So along with all the bad, I'm coming to realize aging most definitely has its privileges -- and I must confess -- I'm kinda liking them.

So it looks like I'm a proud, card-carrying member of the Old Geezer's Club. Wanna come join me? 


Digg It! Stumble Delicious Technorati Tweet It! Facebook

6 comments

  1. Lee Says:
  2. In your club?? I am a long standing member of your club.

     
  3. I go through phases where I'm anti wrinkle cream and don't want to color my hair. But then I get back on that merry go round and I end up feeling much better about myself.

    I'm sure the wrinkle cream really does NOTHING for wrinkles, but in my head I'm at least taking care of myself...for ME.

     
  4. I've been in the old geezer's club for years, one of the founders! don't be fooled by the fact that I have a 3 1/2 year old. Me thinking about looking older? Not really but I love the benefit of speaking my mind and not giving a rats ass about what others think of me. Total freedom I wish I had enjoyed in my 20's!

     
  5. Stacey Says:
  6. I want the best of both worlds. I want to look like I'm in my 20's, but with all the wisdom and the 'I could care less what anybody thinks of me' attitude!

     
  7. Theta Mom Says:
  8. Age is just a number, right?!

     
  9. Herman Says:
  10. I turned 30 two days before the birth of my first... but I decided age is irrelivant... just live as best you can. I went for a night out to celebate when she was 6 weeks, and decided, fun as it had been, I dont need that life anymore. Good post!

     

Zen and the Art of Motherhood

Twitter Updates