From Couch to 5K Wheelchair

Posted by ZenMom Friday, January 22, 2010



This getting into shape stuff is highly overrated.  I think its officially going to do me in.

Now you may know that I'm attempting to turn over a new leaf.  Tired of the continual upward movement of my pant size, as well as the jeers and wisecracks from the kids, I decided to get healthy and loose weight.

News flash...it ain't as easy as it seems.

Surprisingly, the diet stuff is going OK.  Then again, its only been a week and a half.  But I'll except small victories where I can get them.

The thing that's really getting to me is the exercise.  Here I thought is was supposed to make your more healthy, fit and flexible.

Not exactly.

As I make my way through the Couchto5K plan, I am forcing myself to jog at least three times a week.  I use the word jog loosely, because you really can't call it running.  I am officially the slowest jogger on the planet.  Why, even senior with walkers have been known to lap me.

But I keep plugging away.  Who knows, with a little work I might actually make a 30 minute mile.  OK, maybe I'm exaggerating just a bit.  But seriously, 20 minutes is my goal.

What's worse than the pace is the pain.  My back, my neck, my feet.  So much for that increased flexibility.

There's also the laughter.  My oh-so-encouraging family takes great pleasure in mocking my ohs and ouchs. They're having way to much fun with this.

But I keep plugging away.  Why?  Because I am that proverbial tortoise. I may be ungraceful and pokey, but I'm gonna win this race -- dammit -- if its the last thing I do.

Calm but Sore,


Digg It! Stumble Delicious Technorati Tweet It! Facebook

9 comments

  1. Good for you for keeping at it! I despise running and prefer "brisk walking" - not that I'm doing even that anymore. I'm a total slacker.

     
  2. Susan Fobes Says:
  3. Don't give up-slowly but surely is always the way to to go! The unfortunate part of it is that you are providing humor therapy for your family, but it is still therapy...

     
  4. Annie Z Says:
  5. Good on you! I admire your determination.

     
  6. Anonymous Says:
  7. Like your attitude! Not to worry, I'm probably much slower than you.

     
  8. You go girl! 20 min mile today; 10 min mile next month!!

     
  9. Unknown Says:
  10. that's what i'm NOT looking forward to with the exercise. the pain. but...i keep telling myself it will pay off in the end and just get started. monday. i promise.

    slow and steady wins the race!

     
  11. Liz Mays Says:
  12. Oh boy oh boy, I know your aches and pains!

     
  13. Tracie Says:
  14. Good for you!

    I started doing Zumba again yesterday. My knees are killing me this am. I keep thinking I'm too old for this but then I look around and granny is keeping up with the perky instructor.

     
  15. Corrie Howe Says:
  16. I keep wanting to go to the gym too, but my kids keep getting sick and staying home from school.

     

Zen and the Art of Motherhood

Twitter Updates