I Promise Not to Kiss You

Posted by ZenMom Friday, October 16, 2009


The last couple of weeks have been pretty low key around here.  What?  My house quiet?

Well, we've had our reasons.  As I posted before, my oldest son came home with the Swine Flu a couple of weeks ago.  After a week, it looked like it passed over the rest of us.  Pheww!  But by a cruel twist of fate, the incubation period is 7 to 10 days, and on about day 9, the swine hit the fan.

The two girls got it, followed quickly by me and then my husband.  The little guy is the only one in the clear right now.  Not to be outdone though, he got an ear infection from hell instead.  It threatened to rupture, but so far, so good.

The worst part for him has been the medicine.  Because of the severity, the doctor prescribed a new antibiotic.  Not the normal pink, bubble gum flavored kind, lets just say it didn't go over too well.  The first time I tried to get the syringe into his mouth, he happened to pull back just as I squirt it into his eye.  I'm pretty sure that wasn't in the little directions packet that came with the bottle.  The second time (and third and forth and fifth for that matter) it got into his mouth, but was quickly launched across the room as he spit it back at us.

You try telling a three year old to drink something that tastes like crap.  All the "but it will make you feel betters" in all the world won't make a lick of difference. Its gross and that's that.  We even tried mixing it with some chocolate milk.  It worked once, but now he'son to us yet again.  So right now, we've back to the drawing board, trying to find new and ingenious ways of sneaking the smelly stuff past him.

If this wasn't enough, I found out a couple of weeks ago that I have mono.  That's right, the Kissing Disease.  The problem is, with all the bugs going around here, nobody's been kissing anyone.  How do you like that?  If I'm going to end up with the stupid ailment, you'd think I could at least have some fun doing it. Oh well, such is my life.

What I'm left with is a fine combination of fevers, chills and the unrelenting urge to go back to bed.  Come to think of it, my eyes are feeling a bit heavy as I type, so time to sign off and say Good Night -- or Good Afternoon or Good Morning.  Whatever.

Night. Night.
Digg It! Stumble Delicious Technorati Tweet It! Facebook

3 comments

  1. Lee Says:
  2. Yikes! I hope you ALL get better. My daughter got the swine, but none of us got it. Mono is the pits!! Try to mix the med with some yogurt or apple sauce.

     
  3. motherof9 Says:
  4. I like your blog. Seems like you're right where you should be. lol. I obviously read a few entries before commenting on this one. So sorry to hear how sick you all were/are. I hope the air is clearing at home quickly. I'll be a very happy follower here it seems :)

     
  5. Unknown Says:
  6. so are you for or against the swine vaccine?
    they are giving it at school and I am torn on wether to let my kids have it or not. we vaccinate for everything BUT flu (be it swine or otherwise)

     

Zen and the Art of Motherhood

Twitter Updates