Water Woes and Peaceful Places

Posted by Accidental Expert Friday, July 24, 2009

It was a nice dream. A pleasant dream. A peaceful dream. The details are kind of fuzzy, but I do remember being on vacation -- I think it was the beach. Oh, I love the beach.

Then, like a tsunami hitting the shore, I was jolted out of my fantasy world by my oldest daughter.

"Mom! Mom! The dishwasher's leaking and there's water all over the kitchen."

Still in my relaxed state I tried to ignore the interruption.

"Mom! Mom! There's water everywhere. Its dripping from the basement ceiling."

That got my attention, but I was still a little slow.

"Moommm! Did you want all those photos? They're all wet."

That did it. I love those photos. I had them safely tucked in a corner of the basement so the kids wouldn't get to them. Now came panic time.

Running down the stairs my daughter turned to me and said, "By the way, did I tell you there's water squirting from the washing machine too?"

Its official. I hate my life.

Our dishwasher woes started a few days ago when the old one broke. We couldn't afford a brand new one, so we bought a new-to-us dishwasher off of Craigslist. Never one to pass up a bargain, I've been a big fan of the online marketplace. I'm now rethinking my position. The new dishwasher ran fine last night -- no leaks, no worries. Too bad the water supply never turned off. Water ran all night as we slept. No wonder I dreamed of the ocean.

As for the washing machine, we sprung for a front loader a while back. With six people in the house, it made total sense. There's just minor one problem. Our particular model has this pesky habit of eating socks and other small objects, eventually lodging them in the water pump. Every month or so, my husband is enlisted to drain the pump and rid the washer of all the odd items so we can enjoy clean clothes once again.

Flash forward to today. I've spent most of the morning on the phone trying to figure out how to rid the basement of the 6 inches or so of standing water. My husband tackled the washing machine and we've got towels everywhere soaking up the spill. All the while, I've been trying to steal away for a little nap. Maybe, just maybe, I can get back to my dream. And then I can have some peace. Digg It! Stumble Delicious Technorati Tweet It! Facebook

Zen and the Art of Motherhood

Twitter Updates